The show featured a really diverse and interesting selection of classic cars, motorcycles and scooters, and
also had support from local dealerships including Citroen, Opel, Porsche and Volvo, showing some current
offerings along with classic examples of the marques, the latter’s display being particularly expansive, and
included a rare P1900 Convertible. This model was the company’s venture into a fibreglass bodied sports car,
which proved to be a failure, as only around 68 examples were built during 1956-7, before production ceased.
On the Citroen stand there was a 2CV/Mehari based model designated FAF, a very angular and utilitarian
vehicle produced specifically for the Portuguese military, although variations on the theme were built for other
markets. FAF stood for Facile à Fabriquer and Facile à Financer (Easy to Manufacture, Easy to Finance),
and when one looks at the plethora of flat panels, one can see why!
There were also one make car clubs, including the independent Ferrari club, Clube Scuderia Rampante, who,
given the size of the club, had an impressive seven car display, as a tribute to Ferrari’s 70th anniversary, and
also the club’s 4th anniversary. They actually had nine member’s cars on display, as there was a 330 GT 2+2
S1 on an adjacent stand, together with a 512 TR in a separate feature display alongside a F40 in another part
of the exhibition. The Fiat club celebrated the 60th anniversary of the now legendary 500 model, with a quartet
of models on display, including a very early “suicide door” example. The Portuguese Navy had a display
including a Chevrolet Thriftmaster personnel truck, a sort of early version of the “people carrier”, and a 1961
Mercedes-Benz 300 SL sedan, which was in use as officer transport right up to 1980. The Brigado de Transito
(Traffic Police) also had a stand, featuring a Porsche 1600 S Police Car, a Zundapp motorcycle and sidecar
and a Jeep. One of the most eye catching cars at the show, due in no small part to its colour, was the freshly
restored lime green Lamborghini Espada, with its original contrasting lime and dark green interior, which was
the star of the Good Old Times display. Unfortunately the owner had passed away during the course of the
restoration, so never saw his beloved car returned to its former glory, but I am sure that he would have been
proud of its impact on the show.
It is de rigeur for any classic car show, to have an accessory area or hall, and Auto Clássico was no
exception, with a complete hall dedicated to spare parts, tools, models, books and all sorts of automobile
related ephemera. The show also featured a free indoor parking area for those arriving in classic cars, which
gave attendees an additional area to investigate during their visit.
Clube Scuderia Rampante Ferrari Display